Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Condor, who does not like to fly

By now there are many vulturous excursion destinations in Germany where I would like to go now. On of these destinations in the ornithological station "Greifvogelstation Hellenthal", 160 km from here in the Eifel.
This year my sister and me spent our Sisterheart Day visiting Hellenthal to meet Eurasian Griffon Vultures, Eurasian Black Vultures, Rueppell's Griffons, Himalayan Griffon Vultures, Turkey Vultures and the famous tv-star "Santiago, the Condor who does not like to fly".
Right at the entrance it became clear: I will take pictures of everything in the form of a vulture!!!
Nice sign explaining people why raptors eat chicken, guinea pigs or rabbits. It's their food, they need meat to survive... and even our steak was once a cute little calf...
"Condor's Snack Bar": Can't believe I got Dutch Cherry Coke inside!!! My elixir of life! Catering: 10 points!!!
Couldn't resist...
Vultures come in, dogs stay outside!
Even the road sign was in form of a vulture!
Little narrow-gauge railway with a vulture compartment.
Vulture-souvenirs...
Vulture menu...
Exhibition of raptor paintings: Bearded Vulture...
And there he is...*drum roll*: SANTIAGO!!!!
The story behind this male Andean Condor: Some time ago there was a report about Santiago on German tv. Unfortunately I missed it, but I talked to people working in Hellenthal, who told me the story. Santiago does not like to fly, that's why people took him inside a hot air-balloon and brought him in a height of 1000 m. At this height they threw Santiago out of the balloon... very cruel, isn't it? Santiago just flew few circles and landed very soon, walking home the last 200 m...
To be honest, I just need to take a look at his tiny enclosure and know why he does not like to fly. How could he practise and strengthen his muscles in such an unworthy cage??? It seems he cannot even spread his wings there! People at Hellenthal told me this enclosure complies all regulations for keeping an Andean Condor, but I think this cage is an absolute scream for such a majestic bird!!! Sorry, but it had to be said!!!
See! Is it big enough for an Andean Condor with a wingspan of 3,5 m?
I am sure Santiago would love to change his sad celebrity to more open space!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment